We live miles from the nearest street light

We live miles from the nearest street light. But tonight there is a full moon and it is making our whole forest shimmer, dancing in silver rainbows. I can see the fall leaves clinging to the trees clearly through our windows. I have been at a work conference all day, learning about babies and attachment, breastfeeding and optimum brain development from a neuroscientist and a child psychiatrist, both experts in their field. My baby (can I still call her a baby even though she has turned two now?) is sick, with a head cold. The stuffy nose and throbbing head have her up, wide awake at midnight, as I am about to go to sleep myself.

I’ve missed my kiddos today, and my mind has been expanded at my conference. I’m marveling at her brain, so vital, so powerful and yet so fragile and at the mercy of the adults that surround her, this little person I love beyond words. I tell my husband I’ll stay up with her.

(Who knows how many more chances I will have to be up at night with a baby. These are moments I don’t want to miss out on.)

I put on both our house coats and wrap us in a warm quilt and we head out into the wonder of the backyard. We swing together on our tree swing, her snuggled into me. We are out there for hours, talking about the moon and the stars and the leaves and how cozy we are. I’m singing Hello Night, and then she asks for twinkle, twinkle (her favourite) and we sing it together.

We are connected under the vastness of the universe.

(I’m trying to practice being more present this year. Because when I am it is glorious.)

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Everyday holy, Life in the 30's, Parenting. Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to We live miles from the nearest street light

1. Claire says:

gosh, I don’t know if it is my pregnancy hormones or your writing, but every post of yours is making me cry lately! I love this!

2. taryn says:

perfect. i couldn’t love that picture any more 🙂

3. sarahdpinkS says:

Love this. Also love “house coats”, reminds me of my momma who uses that phrase and also “house shoes” 🙂

4. sarahdpink says:

Love this and love “house coat”- reminds me of my momma who uses the phrase and also “house shoes” 🙂

5. Tammy says:

so sweet! love these ‘present’ moments. they are bliss!

6. Pingback: It seems I was just welcoming the fall leaves | Leah Colbeck

7. Colleen says:

Thank you for the link to the Hello Night song. I’ve been listening this past week to her songs and I l love them.

8. Pingback: Sometimes you start writing not sure where you are heading | Leah Colbeck

9. Pingback: 2012 started for me with lots of questions | Leah Colbeck

10. Pingback: Summer is for… | Leah Colbeck

Share some of your story?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s